Monday, December 28, 2009

Crafting weekend!

Halloween weekend became crafting weekend. Friday night Joe and I didn’t really have any plans so we settled on the idea of him playing video games (he really wanted to pass it this weekend) and I would do some mod podging. It was awesome. I set up the card table down by the TV and Joe settled in. I decided that I would also finish the vinyl board that I had received from the Stake Young Women’s presidency – at the Stake Training a couple weekends prior they had this little craft that I didn’t get to finish, plus I wanted to repaint it. So I tag teamed my crafts. I painted my board from brown to black (black matches our house better) and then mod podged my craft pumpkin while the paint was drying. I was able to complete both crafts that night, and it was actually really nice to just take it easy with Joe.
This is how they turned out.
P1040825 P1040827
I would like to create a card board bat on a piece of wire or pipe cleaner coiling out from the pumpkin to give it a little more oomph. I also want to paint the stem. I have a few more pumpkins I want to mod podge, but I didn’t realize how much paper it would require. I might need to rethink my strategy.
On Saturday I really wanted to finally finish my witch pumpkin project. While we were still living in Utah I had gone to my favorite decorating store and saw this pumpkin witch that the Tai Pan people had created, but wanted some large sum of money for. I decided that I would buy the three components and build it myself for cheaper. I did buy all the stuff but never got around to building it, I was always afraid of it for some reason. But this was the crafting weekend so I jumped in and took care of it. It actually was easier than I thought it was going to be. I just looped around a part of the  leaf stuff and then cut off each section and wrapped it around the initial loop. I think it turned out pretty well. I even used a little hot glue to keep the initial loop connected.
P1040829P1040822  P1040831
The witch just sits on a flat spot, think of a spot for a candle. The best part is I can use it for Thanksgiving too, I just need to swap the witch for a pilgrim or indian!
And on a food craft note, Joe and I made a Jell-O ghost
P1040904

No comments: