Friday, September 12, 2008

A friend's personal story

Joe mentioned to me this morning that he had started reading Lissa Lander's novella that she posted online with an author tool, you can check it out here: www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1375 She is hoping people can back the book so that it will make it to the editor's desk at HarperCollins - I borrowed her picture from flickr cause it's awesome.
I decided to check it out, and see about supporting a friend. I read the prologue and hoped that my workload would be light today at work so that I could finish reading her book. Luckily, it was meant to be, I just finished the book. I think I read it for about 6 hours with a few work related interruptions and a 30 minute lunch break :)

If you are interested, I'm sure Lissa wouldn't mind you reading and backing her book.

I have to admit, it was hard to read something that is so personal, and so closely protected for so many years. I almost cried several times, and I think the only thing that stopped me from letting the tears out was that I was at work. I had to look at the ceiling, hoping that the tears would drain back into the ducts and take my mind off the story for a minute.

After reading it all, I'm so happy for Lissa, Kris, and Rosie; I'm happy they have each other. I'm happy they can grow together and that they love each other so much.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

Emily (and Joe too)- you're the best! Thank you for your six hours and positive thoughts. I feel so lucky to have the support of my family and friends during this emotional strip tease. Putting this story out there makes me feel like I have repeatedly gone to the grocery store without pants- but hopefully some good will come of it for my family and others who might have had similar experiences. Thanks again!