Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Edward vs. Jacob: Breaking Dawn Release party

So our friend Emily wanted really badly to go the Breaking Dawn release party. Joe and I agreed we would go with her, along with Julie Poole. We knew we didn't care much about the "party" we mostly just wanted to get the book. We showed up at 11:30 (after preordering the book) and hung out in our color assigned area of Barnes and Noble (the mystery/romance section) until 12:01 when they would finally sell the books. Apparently they had a costume contest, trivia questions throughout the store, and a guest book to sign, among other things, to keep you "busy" while waiting. We didn't do any of it, just stood around waiting. We took a few pictures to document the history, but it wasn't as wild and crazy as I wanted. There were a few interesting looking people there, but mostly it was a bunch of young teenage girls with a few moms. The moms would all walk by us and say "What am I doing here?" It was pretty funny, because we pretty much felt the same way. I did participate in the dressing up bit though. When we bought the third book, Eclipse, from Sam's club, it came with a sweet poster and two iron ons for T-shirts, one was "Team Edward" the other "Team Jacob". I totally made a shirt with them, I put Edward on front and Jacob on back, just to take advantage of using both of them. I think I was the only one with the iron ons, so I felt superior to the girls with the puffy paint shirts :)
The book went on sale and they sold it by group, so that there wouldn't just be a huge line. I think we were in the fourth group up and we had the book purchased by 12:30. So I'm down and hour and $7 from my life (B&N sold it for $17, Walmart sold it for $10), oh well.I told Joe we had to read at least one chapter before going to bed to make doing the release party worth it. Then the next day I read it while we drove to the Temple, and then home from the Temple, and then until we went to bed Saturday, and then all day Sunday. We finally finished it Monday night!
I will tell you, without giving anything away, I enjoyed it. I am satisfied and pleased. Stephenie even put a suprise in there that I wasn't expecting at all, which made for some fun. I ultimately got everything I wanted, even with a few things that were a huge bother. I will say, as she has said herself, she isn't a really good writer, just a good story teller. I am glad I read the series, mostly to know what all the hype was about, but also becuase it was a fun distraction.

At least now that the series is over Joe and I can stop staying up so late finishing these books.....

2 comments:

Libbyella said...

Hi from Brazil! I just finished Breaking Dawn and I liked it, too! I was scared to read your blog until I finished everything, but I should've known you wouldn't give anything away. I hadn't heard Stephenie Meyers admit that she wasn't a good writer... I was just telling Nate today that I wish somebody else were telling this story--I love the story but some of the words and descriptions are ridiculous... "BFF"? Come on. Also, Renesmee is the stupidest name ever. Also, there were typos and grammar errors. Also, I had lots of fun reading it!!! I was glad that the story turned out really well. Also, Brazil is awesome!

Mrs. Grigg said...

man, Brazil? that's totally awesome that you could go hang with Nate. And seriously Renesmee Carlie? Horrible! At least it's over and we'll just remember that overall we liked the story, she just isn't a good writer, and her editors didn't do their job :)